I’ll keep this brief. The next time I hear the words, “fine girl,” from a stranger or even a friend, let’s just say things will not be fine. First of all, HOW DARE THEY? I’m beautiful!
What they really should be asking is if my head is correct? (Pardon my Nigerian) The usual answer is… probably not. Multiply that by the fact that some idiot just called me fine and then the answer is definitely not and a quarter to kick your butt…wait! What was the question?
Let me explain. You see, “FINE” is a contronym, for those who studied from the peanut gallery, contronym is a word that can mean its own opposite. For example Overlook which means ‘to supervise’ but can also mean ‘to neglect.’ Wicked I know (wicked good, not wicked bad, but you catch my drift)
So fine can mean ‘Excellent’, but it can also mean’ acceptable’ or ‘good enough’. Call me skeptical but I don’t want to waste my time on someone who is either:
• incapable of speaking English
• trying to be clever and insult me by being vague
• merely psyching me with borrowed lines
It’s all about the subtext. As a human female, I sometimes have cause to frown. Very often people who have no business getting into my business make it their business to ask.
“Is everything alright? You look down”
Even if I think the world is over (Knock on wood . . . Zombies) I save my ugly crying and issues for my peoples and give curious minds the blow off with the typical answer:
So you can see why I refuse to be complimented using the same words I use to shut down haters, I certainly don’t want to hear it from my friends because all I hear is,
“Hi Girl, you’re looking good today, but as your frienemy I can’t boost you confidence too much.”
- Then again I often test positive for paranoia.
- As for ‘fine girl’ catcalls, in my book that is the worst. It carries soooo much subtext.
“Hey girl, I would like to get to know, but will not be affected if you completely ignore me as I will simply try my luck with the next girl that walks by, in an ill conceived ploy to be
cool, cute, clever,one of the boyz (for some reason boys who are actually the age of men but have the IQ of dust are spelt with a z)
- Question: Does calling anyone fine girl ever work?
- Have I thought too long about this? Probably.
- Does that make me wrong? Hell to the No.
- In conclusion, bad behaviour will result in a fine (the money kind). My shoe habit doesn’t support itself.
- In other spoken word news, “good” is not the answer to “how are you doing?”. Tracy explains: